My name is KimSia, and I’m the owner and developer of a software company selling quotation software. My stack is Django + React via REST API. Been meaning to move my dev env from localdisk to the cloud. Have experimented with AWS EC2, Azure and VS CodeSpaces setup, but I discovered GitPod and I’m quite excited by it. I think it’s the most comprehensive setup so far.
I have been working with @jan for a while now for my experiment. And I just became a subscriber. I have promised to write a blogpost and send to Jan once I finished.
For now, this thread is like a WIP log and also a log of the related tasks. Once I hit some level of completeness, I will write up the entire blogpost.
Given the headless architecture I adopted, the first natural intermediate goal is when I can run my Django unit tests on Gitpod workspace
- [x] able to create a gitpod workspace of my private GitHub Django backend repo
- [x] able to download the React frontend manually from npm
- [x] able to run python manage.py runserver within the Gitpod workspace successfully
- [ ] access the postgres database using my desktop client (TablePlus)
- [ ] able to download the React frontend automatically from npm
- [ ] able to download the React frontend automatically from GitHub React frontend repo
- [ ] able to restore the development postgres schema and data into the gitpod workspace database
- [ ] use my own custom gitpod-postgres 10.14 Dockerfile