Self-hosted - Helm bcrypt error

Greetings,

Dying to try out Gitpod! Decided to spin it up in my home lab Kubernetes cluster.

I’m trying to generate the YAML to a file as part of my build / deploy pipelines.

helm template --namespace gitpod --values values.custom.yaml gitpod gitpod.io/gitpod --version=0.10.0

returns an error

Error: parse error at (gitpod/templates/proxy-configmap.yaml:43): function "bcrypt" not defined

I’ve Googled it and tried installing bcrypt using npm. I’ve also installed bcrypt using apt. I’m running Ubuntu 18.04 and Helm v3.

Wondering if anyone else has had this error and how it was resolved? Maybe this could go in the docs available at: Install Gitpod Self-Hosted on Kubernetes

Hi @captainjustin

Thanks for raising this. I’ve recently joined GitPod to work on the self-hosted application. I’m also finding this when I use v0.10.0 so I’m going to work on fixing this.

In the meantime, can you revert to v0.9.0 as that line was introduced for v0.10.0?

There has been an issue raised for this Error when using helm install · Issue #5059 · gitpod-io/gitpod · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks @MrSimonEmms, worked like charm.

Will follow the GH issue.

Cheers

I’ve just figured out that the bcrypt function is in a later version of Helm. If you use the latest (v3.6.3), that should work too

@MrSimonEmms What is the minimum version of Helm required to support bcrypt? We are currently using Rancher to deploy the Helm chart and it has a fixed version of Helm running behind the scenes we cannot easily modify. We may need to update Rancher and knowing the version of Helm required behind the scenes will help.

I think v3.6.2 is the lowest version of Helm with bcrypt in