New UI with VS Code (revert to Theia)

Had a look around, how do I switch back to theia? Would like the workspace as it was.

Don’t have time to find and add extensions to VS for my project.

Configured workspaces was the advantage of gitpod for me!

On the dashboard, select Theia.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. Don’t want to be recalcitrant to change, the VS ide is missing some landmarks like the logo/link to the workspaces and user settings.

Also why doesn’t gitpod.dockerfile initialise plugins like Emmet with the switch to VScode? And the ‘built-in’ tab for extensions is not in the VS IDE.

When switching to VScode do I need to install the Docker extension manually to match the workspace configuration to that of Theia?

Thanks for the link. Don’t want to be recalcitrant to change, the VS ide is missing some landmarks like the logo/link to the workspaces and user settings.

We align with VS Code UI. You can find such links under the account menu at the bottom of left side bar. You can also access them via the command pallet or by clicking on Gitpod in the left bottom corner.

Also why doesn’t gitpod.dockerfile initialise plugins like Emmet with the switch to VScode? And the ‘built-in’ tab for extensions is not in the VS IDE.

Configured extensions from gitpod yml should work. If not please file an issue and share a repo to reproduce. Emmet is a built in extension, you can see it by opening the extensions view and typing @builtin in search. Again nothing new just aligned with VS Code UX.

When switching to VScode do I need to install the Docker extension manually to match the workspace configuration to that of Theia?

Could you share which repo and what you are missing there?

1 Like

FYI you can switch back to Theia, but it is rather temporary for several months.

Using gitpod.Dockerfile with ’ FROM gitpod/workspace-full ’ , gitpod.yml image points to that.

Ok now seeing the extensions with @builtin.

1 Like

Why will Theia be discontinued ?

On gitpod vs codespace that multi-IDE support is listed.

Could you clarify please wether you experience any issues with using VS Code now? Sorry, I could not get it. If you share more details which extension you are missing for which repo. I would be able to help.

Why will Theia be discontinued ?

Please refer to https://github.com/gitpod-io/gitpod/issues/3475#issuecomment-801020229

On gitpod vs codespace that multi-IDE support is listed.

Yes, we will allow 3rd party IDEs, but main IDE in the browser case will be VS Code.

No problems now.

Initially it seemed that Emmet wasn’t working (tried the ! shortcut for html boilerplate ) and I couldn’t find the extensions ‘built-in’ section. So wasn’t sure how much time it would take to get started coding again. Thanks for the guidance, VS editor will do in the long term. Just poor timing for my product release!