Installing gitpod on self-hosted kubernetes cluster blockers

Hello team,

I am trying to install gitpod to my self-hosted kubernetes cluster. I am following the gitpod.io guide.
https://github.com/gitpod-io/self-hosted
However, I face many blockers like,
While helm upgrade —install I got error saying,
Upgrade failed, gitpod has no deployed release.
Then I tried only with helm install alone and it throws error with the deployment.yaml from charts/minio/templates folder.

I am nee to devops. So trying to figure out and understand. Please assist me with the gitpod setup to my cluster namespace.

Thanks,
Nag

Hi Nag,

installing Gitpod takes time especially when the dependencies of mysql and minio are also deployed. The consequence is that helm terminates with a bad state and causes trouble. Therefore setting the timeout of helm to at least 10 min is adviced, --timeout 10m. If the helm installation is already broken, you should uninstall gitpod before trying again.

Best regards,
Wulf

Thanks for the reply wulfthimm.

I tried to do the same. However I get error at this point and I am not able to figure out what is causing this issue.

helm install $(for i in $(cat configuration.txt); do echo -e “-f $i”; done) gitpod .

load.go:112: Warning: Dependencies are handled in Chart.yaml since apiVersion “v2”. We recommend migrating dependencies to Chart.yaml.
Error: YAML parse error on gitpod-selfhosted/charts/gitpod/charts/minio/templates/deployment.yaml: error converting YAML to JSON: yaml: line 29: could not find expected ‘:’

Could you please assist with this.

Thanks,
Nag

Hi Nag,

as the problems occur in the minio dependency, I suggest to use a separate and newer version of minio.
https://hub.helm.sh/charts/minio/minio

You can install minio using helm and include the values/minio.yaml in the configuration.txt.

Best regards,
Wulf

Thanks wulf. Will try this way.

Is there a way to specify to gitpod to run on a self created particular namespace? Or it will run only in default namespace?
I don’t find any section to specify namespace. Pls assis me.

Thanks
Nag