Helm install of 0.10.0+ local repo?

While I am trying to be patient waiting the next release, I am trying to deploy from code :wink:

Is anyone able to sucessfully install gitpod using a local copy of the gitpod repo at the moment?

I have pulled the latest and greatest code, and am trying on a k3s cluster that I know works with the published 0.10.0 release.

Apart from my values.custom.yamlI have run the usual commands to install the latest dependent charts etc.

And then I run:

helm upgrade --install -f values.custom.yaml gitpod . --set version=0.10.0

Most of the pods are starting up - but not all of them. So that stack is not useable.

Before I do too much digging into this, I am curios to know if others are able to deploy with the current codebase?

It should be. This is pretty much what the other installers are doing (running this helm command). I was start looking at logs.

OK - I’ll do a little digging.

What would be the correct version number to be using at this point?

I would just go with 0.10.0.

ok. I’ve just tried with 0.10.0-nightly, which gives the same initial result:

The server pod has the following errors:

yarn run v1.22.4
$ node --expose-gc ./dist/ee/src/main.js
{"component":"server","severity":"INFO","time":"2021-09-28T16:00:33.567Z","environment":"production","region":"local","message":"Initializing Jaeger Tracer with RemoteReporter and RemoteSampler(serviceName=server)","loggedViaConsole":true}
{"component":"server","severity":"INFO","time":"2021-09-28T16:00:33.612Z","environment":"production","region":"local","message":"Loading TypeORM entities and migrations from /app/node_modules/@gitpod/gitpod-db/lib/typeorm","loggedViaConsole":true}
{"component":"server","severity":"INFO","time":"2021-09-28T16:00:33.612Z","environment":"production","region":"local","message":"Using DB: db:3306/gitpod"}
{"@type":"type.googleapis.com/google.devtools.clouderrorreporting.v1beta1.ReportedErrorEvent","serviceContext":{"service":"server","version":"<ts-not-set>"},"stack_trace":"Error: Environment variable undefined or empty: VERSION\n at Object.getEnvVar (/app/node_modules/@gitpod/gitpod-protocol/lib/env.js:44:15)\n at new Env (/app/node_modules/@gitpod/server/dist/src/env.js:24:30)\n at new EnvEE (/app/node_modules/@gitpod/server/dist/ee/src/env.js:21:9)\n at Object.resolveInstance (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/instantiation.js:45:18)\n at /app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/resolver.js:72:42\n at Array.map (<anonymous>)\n at Object.resolveInstance (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/instantiation.js:40:67)\n at /app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/resolver.js:72:42\n at Array.map (<anonymous>)\n at _injectProperties (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/instantiation.js:11:57)\n at Object.resolveInstance (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/instantiation.js:42:18)\n at /app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/resolver.js:72:42\n at Object.resolve (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/resolver.js:96:12)\n at /app/node_modules/inversify/lib/container/container.js:319:37\n at Container._get (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/container/container.js:310:44)\n at Container.get (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/container/container.js:230:21)\n at Object.<anonymous> (/app/node_modules/@gitpod/server/dist/src/init.js:72:34)\n at Generator.next (<anonymous>)\n at /app/node_modules/@gitpod/server/dist/src/init.js:13:71\n at new Promise (<anonymous>)\n at __awaiter (/app/node_modules/@gitpod/server/dist/src/init.js:9:12)\n at Object.start (/app/node_modules/@gitpod/server/dist/src/init.js:63:12)","component":"server","severity":"ERROR","time":"2021-09-28T16:00:33.614Z","environment":"production","region":"local","message":"Error during startup or operation. Exiting.","error":
"Error: Environment variable undefined or empty: VERSION\n at Object.getEnvVar (/app/node_modules/@gitpod/gitpod-protocol/lib/env.js:44:15)\n at new Env (/app/node_modules/@gitpod/server/dist/src/env.js:24:30)\n at new EnvEE (/app/node_modules/@gitpod/server/dist/ee/src/env.js:21:9)\n at Object.resolveInstance (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/instantiation.js:45:18)\n at /app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/resolver.js:72:42\n at Array.map (<anonymous>)\n at Object.resolveInstance (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/instantiation.js:40:67)\n at /app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/resolver.js:72:42\n at Array.map (<anonymous>)\n at _injectProperties (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/instantiation.js:11:57)\n at Object.resolveInstance (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/instantiation.js:42:18)\n at /app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/resolver.js:72:42\n at Object.resolve (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/resolution/resolver.js:96:12)\n at /app/node_modules/inversify/lib/container/container.js:319:37\n at Container._get (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/container/container.js:310:44)\n at Container.get (/app/node_modules/inversify/lib/container/container.js:230:21)\n at Object.<anonymous> (/app/node_modules/@gitpod/server/dist/src/init.js:72:34)\n at Generator.next (<anonymous>)\n at /app/node_modules/@gitpod/server/dist/src/init.js:13:71\n at new Promise (<anonymous>)\n at __awaiter (/app/node_modules/@gitpod/server/dist/src/init.js:9:12)\n at Object.start (/app/node_modules/@gitpod/server/dist/src/init.js:63:12)"}
error Command failed with exit code 1.
info Visit https://yarnpkg.com/en/docs/cli/run for documentation about this command.

which seems to be holding up the ws-daemon and the ws-manager-brigde pods.