Error: build failed: rpc error: code = Internal desc = cannot create build volume

I’am starting a container and this messages is show up.

Error: build failed: rpc error: code = Internal desc = cannot create build volume: cannot create build volume: %!w(string=)

This also happened to me briefly. I think this might be the relevant Github Issue.

This is a pretty critical bug. I am getting it too. @jelaniwoods Just curious, how long did the issue persist for you?

In the interest of logging the extent of this issue, I am also experiencing this error on container start.

@Devz3n This happened to me while I was testing a custom Dockerfile and I had Gitpod build the image during workspace creation. After I saw the error 3 times, I built the image myself, pushed it to Docker Hub and then Gitpod pulled it and created the workspace without any issues. Not sure if that’s helpful.

@jelaniwoods yeah I am sure sharing symptoms can help the team find this bug.
I got the error like 10 times in a row. I waited 5 minutes and got it a few more times in a row. I waited 10 minutes and the error was gone.

Update:
I spoke too soon, halfway through my first successful build I got this error:

Error: build failed: cannot build workspace image: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:349: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:449: container init caused \"rootfs_linux.go:58: mounting \\\"/var/lib/docker/165536.165536/volumes/build-8c1b79fb761f8801c3ff9c9bdffd4c0c0d91bf6e9cb8c569b8dd50d454a61cc8-1617899625/_data\\\" to rootfs \\\"/var/lib/docker/165536.165536/overlay2/0c652ab0f7a1eae2a0fda26c133749922a0fb82ae9df4a39d5ce41ed7624c357/merged\\\" at \\\"/var/lib/docker/165536.165536/overlay2/0c652ab0f7a1eae2a0fda26c133749922a0fb82ae9df4a39d5ce41ed7624c357/merged/workspace\\\" caused \\\"mkdir /var/lib/docker/165536.165536/overlay2/0c652ab0f7a1eae2a0fda26c133749922a0fb82ae9df4a39d5ce41ed7624c357/merged/workspace: no space left on device\\\"\"": unknown

I went back to my dashboard and there was no entry for this workspace, even though the build had started.
I then tried to created the workspace 5-10 times again and get this error every time:

Error: build failed: rpc error: code = Internal desc = cannot create build volume: cannot create build volume: %!w(string=)

Clicking ‘Continue with Default Image’ results in either a 404 or a Cannot initialize workspace error:

This has also been happening to me in two different repos:

This is happening to me too: Error: build failed: rpc error: code = Internal desc = cannot create build volume: cannot create build volume: %!w(string=)

I have tryed several images but it fails with all of them.

Apologies for the trouble. The disk space issue is resolved now.

1 Like

I’m having this issue again. :frowning:
I thought its just because I was in the Free Tier so I upgraded.

But still the same issue. 9 out of 10 tries I get this:

Error: build failed: rpc error: code = Internal desc = cannot create build volume: cannot create build volume:

Looks like it ran out of space again.
The configuration contains nothing other than installing postgresql.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve also been experiencing this today when creating workspaces from new images. It looks similar to the issue reported previously? Is this the kind of issue we should expect to be reported on https://status.gitpod.io/?

EDIT: Existing workspaces also are getting stuck trying to open.

Yeah this issue is back for me too right now.

EDIT: 23 minutes later the workspace builds but fails in the middle and runs out of space

checkdir error:  cannot create /home/gitpod/laravel-starter/vendor/composer/58a05bde/symfony-polyfill-mbstring-5232de9
                 No space left on device
                 unable to process symfony-polyfill-mbstring-5232de9/.
checkdir error:  cannot create /home/gitpod/laravel-starter/vendor/composer/58a05bde/symfony-polyfill-mbstring-5232de9
                 No space left on device
 ......etc, etc, etc........

Edit 2:
The System is back up and now but failing still fatally: It looks like its failing when trying to remove old files from the image:

rm: cannot remove '/home/gitpod/laravel-starter/vendor/symfony/polyfill-php80/Php80.php': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove '/home/gitpod/laravel-starter/vendor/symfony/polyfill-php80/bootstrap.php': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove '/home/gitpod/laravel-starter/vendor/symfony/polyfill-php80/README.md': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove '/home/gitpod/laravel-starter/vendor/symfony/polyfill-php80/composer.json': Permission denied

I am getting this too. I created an issue here. Can’t launch gitpod - #2 by rmchale

This is pretty much a the product is dead in the water error.