Cannot find a vscode extension

I want to install Lit Snippets vscode extension,

I can find the extension on my local VScode, but when I search for it in a vscode workspace I cannot find it.

Hi @shaal!

Gitpod extensions are sourced from OpenVSX, the open-source and vendor-neutral VS Code extensions registry.

If an extension is missing from OpenVSX, please add it by doing the following:

1. Encourage the extension author(s)/maintainer(s) to publish it to OpenVSX (it’s basically just a matter of getting a token and then running npx ovsx publish – same tools as when publishing to the Microsoft marketplace)

2. If they don’t respond for some time, or don’t want to run npx ovsx publish, you can instead list the extension in this auto-publish CI (provided the extension is open-source). This will attempt to automatically re-package & publish the extension to OpenVSX.

Unfortunately, this means that we cannot use Microsoft’s cpptools anymore.

Why was that change done? In Theia one was able to use this extension (after reading the issue I am actually not sure if this was allowed according to their license).

fyi: It is not legal to use vscode-cpptools, even if you pull it from somewhere else. MS is explicit that it can be used only with official MS products.

Also from .gitpod.yml Reference

If you are interested in importing an extension that is not published on the Open VSX registry you can directly use the full URL.

Got it, thank you, that makes sense.

Sorry for the follow-up licensing question but:
Is your new Gitpod VS Code implementation then considered as a product that allows the use of vscode-cpptools? Or does the license not cover your fork?

Is your new Gitpod VS Code implementation then considered as a product that allows the use of vscode-cpptools? Or does the license not cover your fork?

Even OSS Code (GitHub - microsoft/vscode: Visual Studio Code) is not allowed to use this extension. Only proprietary MS Product (VS Code) built with special settings can use it: Visual Studio Code Frequently Asked Questions

We are working on support of local VS Code via Remote SSH extension this month. It will allow to use MS proprietary extensions.

2 Likes

Hi! Is Gitpod over SSH a feature at this time?

We are still working on it, but we are very close to release. Hope next week :crossed_fingers:

So it means currently I cannot install VSCode extenstios even on self-contained openvscode-server?
Just tried “Org mode” plugin, I don’t think that is has some license restrictions.

Is there any receipt for installing i.e. from command line or somehow if I download extension manually?

UPD: Solved via download *.vsix and manually install