Can we save our workspace settings and layout?

I opened a GitHub repo in GitPod and then I edited some simple aspects of the IDE’s layout. I collapsed the file explorer and the pane above the terminal, so that just the terminal is full-screen.

Is it possible to save this information for when I re-open this repo in GitPod? How?

I would recommend you to look into user settings for VS Code. We don’t have control over layout, but you maybe can customize it.

User settings are already stored as part of settings sync: Settings Sync in Visual Studio Code

1 Like

Thanks very much.

So GitPod’s front end is actually just a browser version of VS Code and GitPod has no influence over it, is that true?
GitPod primarily supplies the back-end stuff like the virtual machine with a Docker container? I noticed on iPad you can drag the file explorer closed with your finger but it doesn’t work on iPhone; should that be reported to VS code rather than GitPod?

By the way: any specs on the machine we are using in our workspaces, i.e. benchmarks or information about its speed?

So GitPod’s front end is actually just a browser version of VS Code and GitPod has no influence over it, is that true?

We have limited influence, but we not intend to make big arch changes to keep upgrade path easy.

GitPod primarily supplies the back-end stuff like the virtual machine with a Docker container?

Gitpod primarily about automation of dev envs. You can use different frontends, i.e. you can just ssh into you Gitpod workspace.

I noticed on iPad you can drag the file explorer closed with your finger but it doesn’t work on iPhone; should that be reported to VS code rather than GitPod?

Yes, it would be upstream issues.

1 Like

Thanks.
How do we choose the front end?
Is there a front end that’s just a terminal?

Right now in browser you can use only VS Code. But you can change VS Code layout via user setting:

"workbench.activityBar.visible": false,
    "workbench.statusBar.visible": false,

There is the local companion in preview which allows to connect to Gitpod workspace via ssh: Gitpod Local Companion - localhost is going remote But there is a known issue that workspace times out in 30mins if you don’t use web UI.

In VS Code there is a command as well Toggled Maximized Panel to bring the bottom panel in full screen.

1 Like

Thank you so much, now I have figured it out.

I just have one more question - I found I can edit the setting.json file if I open the settings from the Action bar. But I don’t understand where this file is actually located. Is it somewhere in the Docker container? Is it possible for me to navigate to this file from the terminal, as part of my own filesystem, to edit it? Or do I have to write it in via a yaml file?

Thanks very much,

Julius

The file is stored in indexed DB of a browser for your origin. The browser + origin basically defines a machine in the web case.

1 Like

Sorry, I actually have a ton of questions about this. If you can help me out, I’d really appreciate it.

You say the settings.json is “stored in indexed DB of a browser for your origin.” That’s a file in my own web browser, one per GitHub repo, you mean? And therefore, I cannot edit this file in my GitPod terminal, because it’s not part of my project’s filesystem? VS Code knows how to pull it out of the browser, when I press “Open Settings”? VS Code’s documentation says:

“A VS Code “workspace” is usually just your project root folder. Workspace settings…are stored at the root in a .vscode folder.”

I couldn’t find this directory, though.

If I’d like my VS Code settings to be synced to the actual GitHub repo and open anywhere I open a GitPod project, do I need to put those settings in the .yaml configuration file? How do I specify VS Code settings in a yaml file?

I also can’t find a property of workbench that allows me to hide the Editor Area by setting visible to false, in the way that I can with activityBar and statusBar. Do you know how to do this?

I cannot find the command “Toggle maximised panel”. Is that in the settings.json, like “toggle maximised panel”: 1”?

Why does VS Code say theres a command to Add Docker files but I cant find it?

Thank you very much

Please don’t confuse VC Code Desktop and Web. Architectures are quite different. In web settings are not stored on the disk, since VS Code Web can run even without backend. If you want to see json file, go to settings via the menu and click on the arrow in the editor toolbar.

If I’d like my VS Code settings to be synced to the actual GitHub repo and open anywhere I open a GitPod project, do I need to put those settings in the .yaml configuration file? How do I specify VS Code settings in a yaml file?

.gitpod.yml is mostly agnostic to VS Code, besides a list of extensions. For settings you should change VS Code settings: Visual Studio Code User and Workspace Settings

I also can’t find a property of workbench that allows me to hide the Editor Area by setting visible to false, in the way that I can with activityBar and statusBar. Do you know how to do this?

I checked and could not find such as well.

I cannot find the command “Toggle maximised panel”. Is that in the settings.json, like “toggle maximised panel”: 1”?

Have you tried to look in the command pallette? Visual Studio Code User Interface

Why does VS Code say theres a command to Add Docker files but I cant find it?

I am not sure where it says so and where you are looking. Some commands are context dependent so maybe you are not in the right context.